Saturday 5 March 2011

Remythologizing Theology

I've finally just finished reading Kevin Vanhoozer's Remythologizing Theology (Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2010) and I hope to be able to provide a summary and review of it at some point in the future. As for now, I'm just part exhilarated and part exhausted by the voluminous and sometimes quite dense writing of Vanhoozer (I wrote some outline notes along the way and they are 26 pages long!). But I thought I'll quote Vanhoozer's final paragraph on what it means to speak and do theology with the Holy God in our midst as a means of inspiring us!

"A divine voice speaks from the burning book: the interpreter stands on holy ground. The appropriate response is not cowering in terror... but the fear-of-the-Lord reflex of the faithful Israelite and covenant servant - Mary's "Let it be to me according to your word" (Lk. 1:38). Terror may be the right response to the unknown, but the name of the God who speaks in Scripture is "the Lord... merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness" (Ex. 34:6). This same Lord is the Author who has emptied - emplotted - himself in our midst, the triune God whose voice breathes out words that create, guide, challenge, console, and complete us. Only the communicating God can help." (p.504)

No comments:

Post a Comment